Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 83 xr3i resto project..... 17.11.10

Default 83 xr3i resto project..... 13.5.11

right then - Ive bought an 83 xr3i thats sat garaged for ten years... the last tax disc that was in the screen was 99 !!! she,s gonna need some work but nothing major hopefully.. the car starts runs stops etc but will have the engine etc out to do the bay up...

anyway will get some pics up soon....
    Last edited by gaz m; 13-05-11 at 12:46.

when I picked the car up.......[
    g][/img]

10 years of standing still !!!!

and inside is pretty clean, although Ive now removed the seats and cleaned em and the carpet.....

not major rust but thre a a couple of small holes that will need sorting out so I will continue to strip the car out .... more updates later.

it looks in really good condition, keep the updates coming

There you go, there was a bracket missing from the penultimate image tag.

Looks like you've got a good car, considering it's age and lack of attention.

Good luck with it

Looks a tidy project..even the dash looks to be in good condition..

thanks for the replies guys.... and thanks fort the extra pic xrdad... yeah its not too bad and deffo do-able the floor is in pretty good nick and the roof rails and sunroof have no rust at all. battery tray repair panel will need to be put in and a little water ingress from here into the pass footwell, but hasnt rusted through luckily, guess it was the dry storage that probably saved the car from being alot worse than it is. It will also need at least one outer sill and both inners are fine.... the dash does have some cracks and will try to find a better one if poss.... will keep the pics and updates coming....

Default little update

well not done much more but have removed dash and wiring ect , and found that some one in its past has tried to repair an area right up under the dash/scuttle area and not done a good job ! so this will be cut out and replaced....

you can see the black painted area,.... soon be moving on t the engine bay.... then underneath.

Keep up the good work!

That 3i is not in bad condition it way better than my old mk3 A reg 1.3L what's your fuse box area like on your's?

Hi mate - its not too bad, but not fully investigated as yet... a little surface rust... although we know where that can lead |!!

Oh yeah gaz i agree if found a great company for rust removal products used them on my xr2i it www.bilthamber.com can mix deox-c with water an put parts in it or theres the deox-gel for parts you can not like on the car bodyshell

thanks mate - did recall seeing that name in the mags.... re the car the wiring loom etc is out now and the fusebox area is spot on - no rust whatsoever.... but that black coating on the other side battery tray area inside under the dash in the photo is actually fibreglass !!!!??? - so someone has tried to fill in the rot with fibreglass !! so it will all need to come out and a new repair panel put in.

thats good news here that mate about your fuse box area mine started rotting around the back of wiper motor bracket as only rs models come with body sealant around it it worth doing it to your's if its missing

Default few pics

not done a great deal more tbh with Christmas in the way ... but have the engine out now so can get on with it. hoping to get the car on a rollover jig and then kick on with the welding....

little update ... stripped the engine down to have a butchers at the shells, crank etc and piston rings.... the big end shells look in good nick and the crank also ,will need new rings and the bores look good also . pretty amazing really if it is all still the original bottom end on it ... wonder if it has been done at some point...

little update on the engine rebuild, ive measured the bores and theyre .8 thou - worn. so will deffo need a re bore if im gonna keep this block . whats more the mains are 0.4 oversize stamped ford / vandervell from factory ! so will need to source some of these too, but dont wanna spend on reboring and pistons if i cant find any bearings..... any ideas ?

just a little update of work so far - have removed front panel and crossmember , one chassis leg as it was like a patch work quilt - so got rid of the lot, also the top of the inner wing has corroded so on the look out for a new one... there is a lot more work to be done than I first thought to be honest, as there always is , have all the new panels , twop new orig ford wings and all the other bits and pieces are hadrian, front panel, crossmember inner /outer sills , floor panels , rear arches , boot floor, almost gotr a full car in panels ffs..!!!!
    have been taking pics along the way so will try and get em uploaded....

Yeah get some pictures loaded up, be intresting to see how far you have striped it, keep up the good work pal.

so heres the way it stands so far.....