Thread: TICK OVER XR3I MFI SYSTEM

Default TICK OVER XR3I MFI SYSTEM

Hi There,

My XR still wont tick over correctly ,, it struggles then cuts out .. any suggestions it is a MFI system

Many Thanks
    Julie Anne

2 XRs - Reliving the 1980's in style

the butterfly needs cleaning on the throttle bodie

Could be any number of things....

Could be that the throttle housing etc needs a good cleaning (as suggested).
    Could be an air leak.
    Could be the CO too weak or too rich.
    Could be that the fuel filter needs changing.
    May have a duff spark plug or lead.
    Could be dribbly injectors ro dribbly 5th injector.
    Could be warm up regulator or auxillary air device not functioning correctly.
    Possibility of faulty fuel pump.

Suggest you start by cleaning the throttle housing. Remove the throttle housing, remove the large screw with spring on it from the housing then give the screw tip a good spraying with carb cleaner and also spray in the screw housing. Then give the inside of the throttle housing and butterfly a good clean with carb cleaner. Do not use anything abrasive on either the tip of the large screw, its housing or the inside of the throttle body or butterfly....let the carb cleaner do the work.

After cleaning, re-install the large screw and spring to the throttle body (gently turn it all the way in until it seats then back it out 3 complete turns....this is the starting point for setting the idle). Install throttle body back onto the engine and make sure that the little earth wire is connected and that the plate makes contact with it (the small screw) when the throttle is shut.

Start engine and let warm up to operating temperature then turn large screw to obtain an idle of around 900 rpm. Now check the CO and set to 1.1%......this will affect the idle speed so adjust large screw to set idle back to 900 rpm..........recheck CO and adjust to bring back to 1.1%. Keep adjusting the idle then the CO until both come together at the mentioned settings (i.e where no further adjustment is required to either the idle or the CO).

if this has no effect, go through the rest of the list above starting with the fuel filter....they do get blocked up even though they are quite large and this restricts the fuel pressure delivery and 3 bar of pressure is required to open the mechanical fuel injectors.

could also be the censor on the side of the distributor that has a tendacy to pack up forget what you call it now the black thing

Default XR3I TICK OVER

Thank you so much for your advice it is very much appreciated..... my car is ticking over perfect now .....

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo
    Could be any number of things....

Could be that the throttle housing etc needs a good cleaning (as suggested).
    Could be an air leak.
    Could be the CO too weak or too rich.
    Could be that the fuel filter needs changing.
    May have a duff spark plug or lead.
    Could be dribbly injectors ro dribbly 5th injector.
    Could be warm up regulator or auxillary air device not functioning correctly.
    Possibility of faulty fuel pump.

Suggest you start by cleaning the throttle housing. Remove the throttle housing, remove the large screw with spring on it from the housing then give the screw tip a good spraying with carb cleaner and also spray in the screw housing. Then give the inside of the throttle housing and butterfly a good clean with carb cleaner. Do not use anything abrasive on either the tip of the large screw, its housing or the inside of the throttle body or butterfly....let the carb cleaner do the work.

After cleaning, re-install the large screw and spring to the throttle body (gently turn it all the way in until it seats then back it out 3 complete turns....this is the starting point for setting the idle). Install throttle body back onto the engine and make sure that the little earth wire is connected and that the plate makes contact with it (the small screw) when the throttle is shut.

Start engine and let warm up to operating temperature then turn large screw to obtain an idle of around 900 rpm. Now check the CO and set to 1.1%......this will affect the idle speed so adjust large screw to set idle back to 900 rpm..........recheck CO and adjust to bring back to 1.1%. Keep adjusting the idle then the CO until both come together at the mentioned settings (i.e where no further adjustment is required to either the idle or the CO).

if this has no effect, go through the rest of the list above starting with the fuel filter....they do get blocked up even though they are quite large and this restricts the fuel pressure delivery and 3 bar of pressure is required to open the mechanical fuel injectors.
    Julie Anne

Nice one, well done

what was it that caused it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattxr3i
    what was it that caused it?
    Not sure what caused it, I passed the info on to the Ford Technician and he found it helpful particularly as the techs these days are trained to fix new Ford cars.

Julie Anne

It always amazes me that we know more about these cars than Ford, maybe I'll try them for a job

Quote Originally Posted by littlegems4x4
    It always amazes me that we know more about these cars than Ford, maybe I'll try them for a job

So grateful for the info .... this site and the people on here are so helpful in our quest to keep our cherished XRs on the road.

Isnt it great that the XR still turns heads ............
    Julie Anne

Glad the information helped. It is a problem nowadays that most dealers now have technicians, not mechanics......in other words, if it can be plugged in to a machine and that machine tell the technician what to do next then everything is fine.........if the car is pre 2000, then a mechnic is needed to go back to basics and

it maybe because we cant afford 2 take them 2 main dealers so we have to fix them instead so they have sacked the real mechanics
    ya hav either got it or ya havn't!

Quote Originally Posted by XR-LOVER
    it maybe because we cant afford 2 take them 2 main dealers so we have to fix them instead so they have sacked the real mechanics

The young mech/tech in Ford I have is very good he deals with older cars, but as there arent any XRs coming into Ford now except mine he appreciated the help you gave ...
    Julie Anne